Skip to main content

Last Call My Love

I have been there a hand full of times... having a great night out, beverages flowing and big smiles punctuated with glazed eyes all around me. Stumbling up to the bar my eyes squint with the realization the lights have just come on. "Last call!!" I am feeling an internal cocktail of relief and annoyance. Who are these people to say the party is over?? I protest, learning that once the lights are on, there is no bargaining. Somehow I make it home and fall asleep in my dress with one heel on. Before I know what happened my mascara is leaving its mark on my pillow. The next morning I vow never to drink again... until the next night like this one!

While memories of mornings like these aren't my proudest moments, they highlight the universal truth that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Sure, the bartender just wanted to close his drawer for the night and go home or have his own fun - but what he really did was let us all know that we didn't need any more drinks. After recently processing what was for me a traumatic end to an eight year relationship, this analogy came back to me. Unfortunately the hangover from a bad relationship is far longer lasting and more difficult to heal from... if only a glass of coconut water and a cold shower could have done the trick! Nonetheless I spent 6 months rediscovering happiness. Absent of the verbal abuse and manipulation I experienced over this time, I was able to discover how much happiness and potential my life offered. No longer clouded by self doubt, self hatred, and regret, I reconstituted my dehydrated life into one of genuine laughter, boundless possibilities, and a spirit which I thought had died.

Just when the pieces I glued began to stick together, my ex reappeared. Once a larger than life character, with an air of invincibility and audacity, he was now merely a puddle on my shoulder. Broken. Humbled? The same actions which resulted in the end of our relationship became the demise of what once promised to be a spectacular career. All of the dreams of success shattered at his feet only for the instant gratification of not just a woman, but a subordinate. While I was putting myself back together, he was falling apart. The "bartender" who catalyzed his own depraved lack of judgment proceeded to kick him out of their shared apartment. Despite the appearance of success and substance he carried on his expensive suit sleeve, the reality was that of an SUV with a few belongings, and a bravado hidden by some tears were all that remained of this man. Whether it be my propensity for martyrdom, a lingering love for the polar magnetism we shared, or simple humanity, I knew the right thing to do was to help him.

For a week he dined at my dinner table and continued to profess his desire to get his family back. One at a time, he apologized to the members of my family and then turned to me confirming his mistakes and newly found humility. As he vowed to do "whatever it takes" to spend his life with me, I reentered my role as personal assistant, updating the resume, taking orders, filling the glass and filling his confidence tank so I could watch this broken man find the strength not just to overcome this challenge, but to CHANGE his life into one of integrity and virtue.  Despite the magic in the background of it all, my need to protect myself and my family kept me at a distance. His mere presence made me tremble. I began to criticize myself and question the renaissance I created around me.



 An article published on PsychologyToday.com describes a sociopath as "..someone who can send convincing signals to trust always when in fact he or she can never ever be trusted-a con artist with no potential for remorse.." As I had begun to help him make repairs to his confidence, the humility from these lessons learned disappeared quickly. In fact, it was clear that every effort he had made was with an agenda and not fueled by any remorse. This was going to be too hard for him. She wanted him back. He retreated, asking for my permission. I protested. Intoxicated with the prospect of "fixing", I all but demanded another sip. And then I gave my blessing - with a few choice words. Just as I was about to walk up for another drink, I was the one to turn the light on and say "Last call!" Still wondering where he would go, how he would survive, and why he would choose such a volatile life, I was able to separate myself from all of it. It was no longer my problem or responsibility. The recovery was shorter the second time around. This brief re-entry felt more like a bad dream than a devastating chapter in life. I start these beautiful new days fresh - no hangover!

Popular posts from this blog

He Had A Fast Car

I often remember driving in his car. The speed and the teenaged love intoxicated me. A nylon seat belt created an embrace across my heart, connecting me to the steel of the car. My body heated, clinging to the seat in acceleration, then jerking with each intentional shift. I watched his hands which were usually divided between the steering wheel and the shifter. I watched his legs covered in faded Levi jeans marching with the rhythm of the clutch and gas. It was a Nissan Sentra.  There wasn’t a place I didn’t want to go in that car. Freedom. To Blockbuster we went, for the latest in VHS entertainment. We watched movies sitting close with our innocent flesh radiating through clothes purchased for us by our mothers. At my house we had company - siblings and parents depending on the movie choice and time of night. At his house we watched in a private basement. I remember there, being secluded with just the light of the tv and our young love, we often became distracted during movies. The m

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." -Oscar Wilde

The night trying too hard almost killed me. The evening started as a success. Thousands of dollars were being spent with each paddle's rise, benefitting a charter school on the island. On the microphone a local, well-liked politician energized the group with his beaming smile and rhythmic descriptions of items up for bid. Wine flowed endlessly, poured by the smiling staff hustling around the tent to ensure glasses remained full. Alcohol is a good fund-raising lubricant. The team of servers kept close watch on our table especially. At our table, their boss, my partner, was keeping close watch on the execution of this important evening. The auction ended and as we all dispersed from our seats to congratulate our table-neighbors on their winnings, my partner approached me quickly. His hand firmly grasped my empty arm (as the other was holding a wine glass) and he told me we were leaving. I was confused at first but as he began to describe the flaws in service he noted during the

#onwardandupward

It was almost 4 months ago now. “The Breakup”. It felt life-shattering, irreversibly damaging, and as bad as any tragedy I had ever experienced. It was dramatic and traumatic. It was something out of a romance turned horror film. It started with a suspicion and ended on vacation. In a blur of nausea, starvation, and sobbing, I spent my last 48 hours in Puerto Vallarta in disbelief, thinking I might die of heartbreak. Four months later while I still feel a sense of loss (mainly of time) I also feel I have gained much more. Maybe it is what I re-gained. The opportunity to be me. The chance to smell roses and meander rather than constantly running. Regaining my self confidence, self control, self worth. Regaining my security. Rediscovering my love for the world and releasing my discontent. As a master of the “all or nothing” method of loving someone, I martyred myself for what I thought was the benefit of my relationship. I blinded myself from any possibility that it would not wor