Skip to main content

Even Tall Pines Are Temporary

I went outside to sit for a while and stare at the tall pines out back. Word is they may come down soon and I will miss them. The thing about these gorgeous trees is that they are such a threat under the wrong conditions. But then again, isn’t everything. 

Tall Pines surrounding a dirt path with a blue sky in the background.
Tall longleaf pines are a key ingredient to the magic potion of this beautiful landscape in Northwest Florida. Their lives seem to be one big growth spurt. They grow from skinny little twigs to what appears as a statuesque and sturdy trunked monument in just a few years. Lining the byways of this region are generations of these trees. Driving past their forests, sunlight peeks through slivers of talk barky stalks. I am reminded of a hand drawn flip book. Each glimpse between the trees depicts the next drawing, flipping quickly to show this living scenery. At the top of this frame, wider gaps allow a peek at what lies beyond - sun, water, sky. The bottom of this frame is cluttered with new growth from a rich earth rejuvenated by prescribed burns. Some empty frames in this tall pine flip book depict where the forest has been replaced by neatly lined neighborhood streets or strip malls. 

Looking up all around me the bright evergreen leaves sway like eager paintbrushes tempting the sky to change its hue. They sway in symphony with the breeze. But if they sway too hard, that tall trunk doesn’t look nearly as tough. They bend back and forth. Long pine needles fly wildly as if in reaction to a thunderous electric guitar led anthem. With just enough wind these beautiful trees snap like a used kitchen match.

Conditions have been good - maybe great - for the last seven years where these tall pines stand today. There is nothing I would take away from this life they have lived with me here. In the worst moments I looked up to them in wonder - seeking hope. I watched and listened to the birds singing in their tree top nests, and the rattle of their healthy leaves shaking in the wind. I caught glances of the sun gleaming and putting every dimension of green on full display. I asked the universe for answers and it responded by allowing me to live another day.  In the best moments I grounded myself, looking up to them with gratitude. At times I felt my heart may burst. At these times I felt like a very tiny part of such a large and wondrous world. Both the good times and the bad were surrounded by this beauty. But word is conditions could change and when they do,  these living masterpieces which have given me so much hope, solace, and witness, will become a threat to the very shelter that houses me. 

The lesson of these trees is not to fret over the less than ideal conditions to come, but to cherish the good conditions while you have them, and to do the right thing when the time comes that these conditions inevitably change.

One morning I will go to greet "my" tall pines, and will find only the once hidden sky. Realizing now that the time spent with these trees was temporary, I cherish them even more. 

Popular posts from this blog

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." -Oscar Wilde

The night trying too hard almost killed me. The evening started as a success. Thousands of dollars were being spent with each paddle's rise, benefitting a charter school on the island. On the microphone a local, well-liked politician energized the group with his beaming smile and rhythmic descriptions of items up for bid. Wine flowed endlessly, poured by the smiling staff hustling around the tent to ensure glasses remained full. Alcohol is a good fund-raising lubricant. The team of servers kept close watch on our table especially. At our table, their boss, my partner, was keeping close watch on the execution of this important evening. The auction ended and as we all dispersed from our seats to congratulate our table-neighbors on their winnings, my partner approached me quickly. His hand firmly grasped my empty arm (as the other was holding a wine glass) and he told me we were leaving. I was confused at first but as he began to describe the flaws in service he noted during the

#onwardandupward

It was almost 4 months ago now. “The Breakup”. It felt life-shattering, irreversibly damaging, and as bad as any tragedy I had ever experienced. It was dramatic and traumatic. It was something out of a romance turned horror film. It started with a suspicion and ended on vacation. In a blur of nausea, starvation, and sobbing, I spent my last 48 hours in Puerto Vallarta in disbelief, thinking I might die of heartbreak. Four months later while I still feel a sense of loss (mainly of time) I also feel I have gained much more. Maybe it is what I re-gained. The opportunity to be me. The chance to smell roses and meander rather than constantly running. Regaining my self confidence, self control, self worth. Regaining my security. Rediscovering my love for the world and releasing my discontent. As a master of the “all or nothing” method of loving someone, I martyred myself for what I thought was the benefit of my relationship. I blinded myself from any possibility that it would not wor

Last Call My Love

I have been there a hand full of times... having a great night out, beverages flowing and big smiles punctuated with glazed eyes all around me. Stumbling up to the bar my eyes squint with the realization the lights have just come on. "Last call!!" I am feeling an internal cocktail of relief and annoyance. Who are these people to say the party is over?? I protest, learning that once the lights are on, there is no bargaining. Somehow I make it home and fall asleep in my dress with one heel on. Before I know what happened my mascara is leaving its mark on my pillow. The next morning I vow never to drink again... until the next night like this one! While memories of mornings like these aren't my proudest moments, they highlight the universal truth that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Sure, the bartender just wanted to close his drawer for the night and go home or have his own fun - but what he really did was let us all know that we didn't need any more drinks. After recently processi